The past month has definitely proved to be a little difficult. In the past four weeks:
1- Britt broke his foot and had surgery (this in itself entails way more than I could write)
2- we said goodbye to a great friend who will be out of the country for 8 months
3- first round of exams at school
4- planning (trying to) my grandmother's 100th birthday party with a not-so-helpful family
5- Student Government issues
and the list could go on.... have you ever noticed that we could list bad things that happen to us a lot faster than we can list good things? A lot of times I overlook the many blessings and good things that God gives me daily. A couple weeks ago I took a self-exam in my Positive Psychology class. We were covering a chapter on Happiness and were required to take a "What is Your Happiness Profile?" test. I took it and I was very surprised with the results. Literally, this is what it says: "you may have a more empty life and are likely to be dissatisfied." What?! Me? Really? I would have never described myself as this.
Since then, I have been more observant about the way I think and respond to situations. I've found that I do follow a {somewhat} negative thought pattern. Some may call it being a realist... but I just don't want to be that. Don't get me wrong, I don't think I should walk around and take on a Pollyanna mentality; I just want to be a little more positive. It couldn't hurt right?
Aside from all of this, I have a reason to be positive. I am a child of God. A God who gives me hope and faith that all things do work together for good. So I will remain hopeful. Hopeful because he promises grace to the undeserving. He's just awesome like that.
**Just a disclaimer: not EVERYONE in my family is not helpful... just a few.
No comments:
Post a Comment